An Apple a day keeps the Doctor away!!!
Have we had enough anxiety, frustration and trouble yet? Apparently not! It just keeps rolling our way. It seems like “normal” was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. We know there are many suffering from a variety of problems that have beset the world, our nation and our community. We pray for all who need help, support and comfort in any way.
However, we are also inherently optimistic. We live in one of the most beautiful places on earth and love the promise the future holds. We have faith the troubles will pass in time and we will emerge as a strong and vibrant community. We hope you share our optimism.
We also have a small business to run and have agonized over the best way for us to proceed. We don’t know that there is any scientific support for the old adage, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” but we like to quote it anyway. If you think an apple might help, we have something to offer. For this week we have decided to open our regular business hours. That is Thursday and Friday 9-2 and Saturday 9-4. If you feel safe being out of doors and are interested in adding some apples or pears to your food basket come out and see us.
We are celebrating the apple crop with a little recipe booklet called “Apple Recipes by Bells Orchard”. We will be sending out a recipe each day if you follow us on Facebook or Instagram. You can pick up the whole booklet when you are at the orchard.
Be wise and be careful!
There are still a lot of Honeycrisp apples on the trees. In spite of the fires and smoke, the other apples in the orchard have continued to ripen and develop and we now have Fuji, Jonagold and Gala apples ready to harvest. The Honeycrisp apples look almost perfect this year with very few blemishes or insect damage. Most of the other apples have quite a bit of apple scab. This damages the skin of the apple but doesn’t have much effect on the apple flesh. They don’t all look great but they do taste great.
The Bartlett and Moonglow pears are all gone but there is still a good crop of Bosc and Comice pears.
The peach season has officially ended at the orchard.
Honeycrisp apples $2.00 per pound, All other varieties $1.50 per pound
All Pears $1.25 per pound
We accept cash, check, cards and ApplePay
Monday – CLOSED
Tuesday - CLOSED
Wednesday - CLOSED
Thursday 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Sunday - CLOSED
Please do the following to help everyone remain safe:
• Wear a mask
• Wash hands before picking
• Don’t eat while picking
• Pick what you touch
• Stay at least 6 feet away from others
• Form a line outside when checking out
Bring your own boxes or use ours.
Please no pets
See you at the Red Barn.
Listed below are all our varieties in the order they become ripe.
The items listed in red are currently being picked.
Peaches (all gone for 2020)
Blushing Star(White peach)
Sweet Cap(Donut peach)
Please consider the following when you come to pick.
• Please leave pets at home. No matter how well behaved your pet may be, it is likely that others, particularly children, may be afraid of it. We strive to have a place children feel comfortable and appreciate your help in this way. Please leave pets at home.
• Please pick where directed. There may be fruit in other areas that looks appealing to you. There are many reasons we specify where to pick. Please pick only in the designated picking area for the day. We don’t mind at all if you walk through other areas in the orchard but we ask that you only look when outside of the designated picking area.
• A portable toilet is provided. It is the only appropriate place to use the restroom.
• Your children may notice a play structure and trampoline in our back yard. We are not able to allow customers to utilize these toys.
We encourage you to forward our email to family or friends. Anyone who wants to be added to the email list just needs to send a request to email@example.com. Besides the email list, other ways to know what is available in the orchard is by liking us on Face Book at ‘Bells Orchard’, Instagram @bellsorchard or on our web page at www.bellsorchard.com
We have both u-pick and pre-picked fruit. However, we do not keep picked fruit available in our store. If you would like us to pick fruit for you please call one day ahead to place an order. We will have it ready for you when you come. We add .25 per pound to our u-pick price when we do the picking.
Remember our orchard is “short” so no ladders are needed for picking. Children can reach the fruit and assist in the harvest.
News posted: 15th September 2020